Sunday, March 05, 2006

YAY SNOW COMING



I am actually happy to see the forcast calling for 1-3" of snow mostly because everything is ready to go, the new plow, new salter, a ton of salt, new blowers, exc. the last storm was a total nightmare that resulted in me loosing 2 customers that storm made me want to get out of the snow plowing buness but looking at the checks that rolled in 2 weeks later make me a little happier. what other industry is there that you make between $250 and $300 a hour while sitting in a truck playing a big video game but in all reality loosing one of my larger customes was a bit unnerving considering I have a 99.5% retention rate and have serviced the same 12 customers ever sence they gave me a chance in 2002 when I jerry rigged a 8' plow on my 78 ford bronco, I remember that year vivdly..... it was november and a guy on www.plowsite.com asked if anyone in toledo could accept a random account that he couldnt do anymore and I said I would look at it and I did and I signed the deal for brent industriies 2.45 acres of parking lot and 9 looading docks $400 each plow but what was I going to use to do it.....the bronco! so I scavanged through Estels junkyard and found a plow pump and mounting bracket and bought it for $25 then I had a local landscape company give me a blade because they didnt have any trucks that it would fit because it was 10' wide, hey a freebie is a freebie right so I took it to a friend at performance machine and Kurt cut it down to 8' for me.
at the same time as I was doing all of this a mutual friend of me and brian hayes just bought himself a plow because he landed all the taco bells in toledo for snowplowing so me and Andy got together and used our combined newbie knoledge to get things rolling, that year we had a whopping 57" of snow and I plowed 18 times. we had a snowplowers dream 9 storms spaced out over 3 weeks each dropping only 2-3 inches but I still made $1000 each time I went out whether it was 2" or 8", about half way into that spree of clipper systems I was basically burnt out and hired a friend from Toledo 4 wheelers to plow for me in the bronco for $20 an hour, we would basically tag team everything. The bronco had a mini love seat and brown shag carpeting so one of us would take a powernap while the other plowed an vice-versa. that winter I made so much money that the summer was a big fuckoff session and I junked the bornco and
bought a jeep cherokee and traded the 8' plow for a new 6½' plow. the jeep ended up being a total piece of shit and the crappy 2.8 blew the headgasket and I sold it minus the plow for $10 more then I paid for it,... good riddence to bad rubbish, I swear to god I will never own a jeep again. the headgasket went mid season so after some barganing I threw the 6½' meyers on the durango and then the madness began, we started taking on more accounts after andy lost the taco bells and I had a reliable vehicle to use

I will finish this hen I get back from wallmart, gotta pick up some random stuff


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home