Monday, December 25, 2006

merry christmas

merry christmas.... I am sitting here playing with Auto-CAD designing something I will probably never build but what the hell it will help pass the time... I am basically copying Tom Andersons firewood saw setup but on a smaller scale... instead of a 60" blade mine will have a 36" blade and split the log blanks as they are cut, right now he has 2 guys splitting wood while he saws and they can produce only 2 cords a hour, mine will need one person to run it and should produce around 5 cords an hour provided I have enough logs to go that fast. I have been scrounging for parts to build a good splitter for over 2 years and I finally have at my disposal 80% of what I need, I have a 3cyl 45 hp gas motor, a 40 GPM ydraulic pump, a bank of spool valves (8 valves) 4 hydraulic cylinders, one is 6" wide and 36" long and will be used for splitting the wood 12 ways in one shot... now all I need is some steel, some time (got plenty of that , lol) and a set of plans. the only real expensive things that I do not have yet is the 36" saw blade which is around $600 and the hydraulic motor to power it which is around $250 but like I said before.... I have been scrounging for 2 years to get the other parts at little cost to me so if I have to wait til next year to spend a grand in making it saw its own logs... so be it! 2 chainsaws are $300 and me and a helper can cut alot of wood in a afternoon with 2 saws.... the big time saver will be only loading the logs once and getting 12 splits in one pass and then having a conveyor load them right into my dump truck off the back of the splitter... oh well I will add more plan drawings later

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A Merry Christmas to you too and it looks like that is one heck of a machine.

:-)

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 2:35:00 AM  
Blogger Nate~ said...

Thanks Lisa, I hope you and your family had a good christmas aswell. YES it is a monster but the one I am going to build will only be 16' long instead of 45'.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger Bob Westbrook said...

Hey Nate, are you keeping an eye out for curly maple and other woods that can bring good bucks planked and dried. That splitter will need monster hydrolics and will be big stress on the steel.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Nate~ said...

as a matter of fact I stumbled across a 6' log 24" in diameter and it is black walnut, I am taking it to a local guy to have it milled into 1ΒΌ" boards, all he wants to do it is 3 of the boards so I cant complain too much, I also found some birdseye maple but Tom had already sawn it into 16" legnths but I have 3 of them so I can turn 5-6 bowls.... they opened a woodcraft next to the old country buffet and they are doing classes on turning, hopefully I can get a lathe soon but with no snow I am SOL cash wise, I will do a big update tomorrow

Saturday, December 30, 2006 2:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home